Sample United States Social Security Card
In the United social secrity office States, a Social Security number (or SSN) is a number issued to citizens, permanent residents, and temporary (working) residents under section 205(c)(2) socail security office of the Social Security Act, codified as 42 U.S.C. § 405(c)(2). The number is issued social secruity office to an individual by the Social Security Administration, an agency of the federal government. soical security office Ostensibly, its primary purpose social securty office is tracking working individuals for taxation purposes and to track Social social securtiy office Security benefits. However, in recent years, the SSN has become a de facto national identification number, even though it is not social secuity office supposed to be used as a form of identification.
Contrary to socialsecurityoffice popular belief, there is still no law directly requiring a natural born US Citizen to apply for a Social Security social security office number to live or work in the social security offices United States
. Although a social security office locations handful of people still live this way, it is becoming ever increasingly difficult social security administration office to engage in normal acts of commerce or banking activities without providing one. Such prohibitions against persons don't give social security number to doctor's office that refuse social security office locator to enter into what amounts to a voluntary government program raise a variety of constitutional concerns.
- 1 History
- 2 Purpose my local social security office and use
- 2.1 Federal taxpayer identification number
- 2.2 Identity Theft
- 3 Structure
- 4 Valid social security office arnold missouri SSNs
- 5 SSNs social security office location invalidated by use in advertising
- 6 See also
- 7 External social security office norwalk ct links
The first SSNs were issued by the Social Security Administration in November 1936 as florida social security office part of the New Deal Social Security program. By the end of 1937, over nc social security office 37 million numbers had been issued.
Before 1986, people santa clarita social security office often did not have a Social Security number until the social security office california age of about 14, since they were used for tax social security office flagstaff arizona purposes and those under that age seldom had remunerative employment. In 1986, American taxation social security office in houston law was altered so that individuals over 5 years old without Social Security numbers could not be claimed as social security office in nj dependents on tax returns. Since then, parents have often social security office indianapolis applied for Social Security numbers for their children as soon as they social security office manhattan were born. (Note: The law does not absolutely preclude claiming dependants without illinois social security office a Social Security number, however as an issue of policy the IRS often denies such claims unless the social security office arizona issue is pressed.)
Purpose and use
The original purpose of arizona social security office this number was to administer the Social Security program, but it has come to be used also as a "primary social security administration offices key" (a de facto national ID social security administration offices in northern virginia number) for individuals within the United States. This is a social security office chicago major example of functionality creep. Payroll, university student records, credit records, and social security office houston driver's licenses are sometimes indexed by Social Security number. The U.S. military has used the Social Security social security office in gresham number as an identification number for all service members since 1969. As a result, disclosure and processing of these social security office in maryland numbers is of major concern to many citizens social security office san antonio and privacy advocates.
Since the Social Security Number also doubles as national social security office seattle ID number, some people unfamiliar with the US system may mistake the word california social security office "security" in the name to mean "national security". It is find social security office far from the truth. The word "security" in "Social Security" refers to the financial security of retired persons.
Federal taxpayer identification number
The Internal Revenue Code provides that "[t]he social security michigan social security office account number issued to an individual for purposes of section 205(c)(2)(A) of the Social Security Act social security admin office shall, except as shall otherwise be specified under regulations of the Secretary [of social security office atlanta the Treasury or his delegate], be used as the identifying number for such individual for purposes of this title." social security office columbus ohio See 26 U.S.C. § 6109(d).
The SSN is frequently used by social security office dallas those involved in identity theft, since it is interconnected with so many other social security office in mexico forms of identification, and because people asking for it treat it social security office in mobile al as an authenticator — it is generally required by financial institutions to social security office in wylie set up bank accounts, credit cards, and obtain loans, partially because it is assumed that social security office las vegas no one except the person new jersey social security office to whom it was issued will have it. Ironically enough, Social Security cards used to have the caption "Not for identification," indicating that the nj social security office cards and their number are not intended to be a form san diego social security office of identification. In 2005 break-ins into administrative social security office georgia and school computers led to large-scale identity theft, and a bill has been proposed which social security office in atlanta would make use of the social security social security office in illinois number as identifiers in schools illegal. Exacerbating the problem is the fact that the United States has no national ID social security office in los angeles document and that the social security card contains no biometric identifiers of any sort, social security office in metairie,la. making it essentially impossible to tell whether a person using a certain SSN social security office marietta ga is truly the person to whom it was issued without relying on some other means of documentation social security office worcester ma (which may itself have been falsely us social security office procured through use of the fraudulent SSN). Congress has finally proposed new federal laws that will restrict the use of virginia social security office SSNs cabarrus co. nc social security office for identification and ban their use for a number of commercial purposes, e.g. rental applications.
- Information from (from charlotte social security office http://www.ssa.gov/history/ssn/geocard.html)
The Social Security number is a nine-digit number in the location social security office fort worth format "111-11-1111." The number is divided into three parts.
- The Area Number is assigned by the geographical region. Prior to 1975, cards social security local office were issued in local Social Security offices around the country and the Area social security office houston tx Number represented the office code in which the social security office illinois card was issued. This did not necessarily social security office in birmingham have to be the in the area where the applicant lived, since a person could apply for their card in any Social Security office. Since social security office in california 1972, when SSA began assigning social security office in chicago SSNs and issuing cards centrally from Baltimore, the area number assigned has social security office los angeles been based on the ZIP code in the mailing address provided social security office michigan on the application for the original Social Security card. The applicant's mailing address does not have to be the same as their place social security office new york of residence. Thus, the Area Number does not necessarily represent the social security office nj State of residence of social security office phoenix arizona the applicant, either prior to 1972 or since.
Generally, numbers were assigned beginning in the northeast and moving westward, so that people social security office phone number on the east coast had the lowest numbers and those on the social security office portland oregon west coast had the highest numbers. As the areas assigned to a locality are exhausted, social security office safford,az new areas from the pool are assigned, social security office uk so some states have noncontiguous groups of numbers.
- Complete list of area number groups administration office security social from the Social Security Administration
- The middle two digits are the group number. They have no special geographic or data significance but merely austin social security office serve to break biloxi social security office the number into conveniently sized blocks for orderly issuance.
- There is a theory colorado social security office that the two middle digits can be used to identify a person's ethnic background. This local social security office palm harbor fl is debunked as an urban legend on snopes.com as well as on the Social Security Administration's website.
The group numbers local social security office phone numbers range from 01 to 99. However, missouri social security office they are not assigned in consecutive order. For administrative reasons, group numbers are issued in the following order:
- ODD numbers from 01 through 09
- EVEN numbers office security social from 10 through 98
- EVEN numbers ohio social security office from 02 through 08
- ODD numbers from 11 through 99
As an example, group number 98 will be issued before 11.
- The last social security card offices four digits are serial numbers. They represent a straight numerical sequence of social security office las vegas digits from 0001-9999 within the group.
Currently, a valid SSN cannot have social security office address an area number above 772, the highest area number which the Social social security office austin Security Administration has allocated.
There are also special numbers which will never be allocated:
- Numbers with social security office austin texas all zeros in any digit group social security office colorado (000-xx-xxxx, xxx-00-xxxx, xxx-xx-0000).
- Numbers of the form 666-xx-xxxx, probably due social security office florida to the potential controversy (see Number of the Beast). Though the omission of this area number is not acknowledged by the SSA, social security office in arizona it remains unassigned.
- Numbers from 987-65-4320 to 987-65-4329 social security office in dallas are reserved for use in advertisements
Finally, the social security office in glen oaks new york Administration publishes the last group number used for each area number. Since group numbers are social security office in new york allocated in a regular social security office minneapolis (if unusual) pattern, it is possible to identify an unissued SSN social security office name change that contains an invalid group number. Despite these measures, many fraudulent SSNs cannot easily social security office of hearings and appeals be detected using only publicly available information.
SSNs invalidated by use in advertising
The promotional Social social security office phoenix az Security card as distributed by the F.W. Woolworth Company
SSNs used in advertising have social security office phone numbers terre haute indiana rendered those numbers invalid. One famous instance of this occurred in 1938 when the E. H. Ferree Company in Lockport, New social security office portland York decided to promote its product by showing how a Social Security card would social security office raleigh nc fit into its wallets. A sample card, used for display purposes, was social security office sacramento placed in each wallet, which was sold by Woolworth and social security office san francisco other department stores across the country. The wallet social security offices in charlotte north carolina manufacturer's vice president thought it would be clever to use the actual SSN of his secretary, Hilda Whitcher.
Even though the card was printed in red (the social security offices in houston real card is printed social security offices in pa in blue), was half the size of the real card, and had "Specimen" texas social security office printed across the front, many people used the SSN. Over arlington tx local phone number social security office time, the number that appeared (078-05-1120) has been claimed by a total of over 40,000 people as their own. The find local social security office SSA initiated an advertising campaign fresno social security office stating that it was incorrect to use the number. (Hilda Whitcher was issued a new SSN.) However, the ga social security office number was found to be in use by 12 individuals as late as 1977.
- National identification georgia social security offices number
- INSEE code (Social Security number in France)
- Social Security indiana social security office Administration
- Frequently Asked Questions on SSNs and Privacy
- The Woolworth Card indianapolis social security office - The SSN 078-05-1120 has been claimed by thousands of people since the late 1930s
- Social Security lakewood, oh social security office Cards Issued by Woolworth - "The story of the most misused number las cruces new mexico social security office location of all time"
- SSN safetySocial Security Number Safety
office of social security oregon social security offices social security administration office forth worth social security administration office location in phoenix social security card office social security disability office
Categories: Articles with unsourced statements | National nc social security offices identification numbers | Social Security new social security office in modesto (United States) | Universal Identifiers