- For the band Riot, see Riot (band).
Riots occur rit when crowds or even small groups of people gather to commit acts of violence usually in reaction to rot a riat perceived grievance or out of dissent. Riots have historically speaking occurred due iot to poor working or living conditions, government oppression, efforts at taxation or conscription, conflicts between rito races or religions, or even the outcome of a sporting event. Rioters act because they feel legal channels are inadequate for rectifying an injustice.
Riots should riou be distinguished from civil disobedience. Civil disobedient actions aim to roit rectify injustice via non-violence. Riots tiot on the other hand are characterized by radical physical aggression, such as property damage, arson, riog looting, assault and murder. Civil disobedience in some cases fiot can devolve into rioting.
A large and, often, organized riot against a minority irot group is called a pogrom.
The role of the state is to disperse rioting via the police or military. However, police have been known to start riots quiet riot themselves (see police riot). riot The police typically use non-lethal weapons such as water cannons, rubber bullets, pepper i predict a riot spray and flexible baton rounds to control violent crowds. While some governments are particularly prone bikini riot to resort to deadly force to stop riots zoot suit riot or even peaceful demonstrations, such measures are generally permitted under laws of war and martial riots law, so long as nonparticipating civilians are not intended targets even though collateral damage commonly results.
- 1 Laws against riots
- 1.1 England three days grace riot and Wales
- 1.2 Current English riot girl Law
- 1.3 Ramifications
- 1.4 United States
- 2 Notable riots
- 2.1 United kaiser chiefs i predict a riot States
- 2.2 Australia
- 2.3 Asia
- 2.4 Listing
- 3 See riot three days grace also
- 4 References
Laws against riots
England and Wales
The Riot Act of 1714 authorized capital punishment for atari teenage riot mp3 rioters who failed to obey a lawful riot van order to disperse.
Under English law, a riot is defined by the Public Order watts riots Act 1986 as twelve or more persons who "together use or threaten unlawful violence for a common purpose and the conduct of them white riot (taken together) is such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present quite riot at the scene to fear for his personal safety". This carries the prison riot possibility of a fine and a sentence of up france riots to ten years' imprisonment.
If there are fewer than twelve people present, violence may zoot suit riots constitute the lesser offence of "Violent Disorder". This is defined similarly to riot (but no common purpose quiet riot come on feel the noise is required), but for three or more persons.
In the past, cronulla riots The Riot Act had to be read by an official - with riot police the wording exactly correct - before any policing action could take place.
Current English Law
In English Law Riot forms lets start a riot part of the Public Order Act the clash white riot 1986 under section 1.
The Public Order Act 1986 s.1 states:
1) Where quiet riot mp3 twelve or more persons who are present together use or threaten riot girls unlawful violence for a common purpose and the conduct of them (taken together) is such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness quiet riot lyrics present at the scene to fear for la riots his personal safety, each of the persons using unlawful violence grand manan riot for the common purpose is guilty of riot.
2) It is immaterial whether or not the twelve or more use or threaten unlawful riot girl by good charlotte lyrics violence simultaneously.
3) The common purpose may be inferred from conduct.
4) No riot kayaks person of reasonable firmness need actually be, or be likely i wanna riot to be, present at the scene.
5) Riot may be committed atari teenage riot speed in private as well as in public places.
- Was an Arrestable Offence, changed to an indictable offence by the riot radio Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005)
- Triable on indictment (Can be brought before los angeles riots a Magistrates' Court or Crown court)
- Ten years imprisonment and/or a fine
Teamsters, armed with pipes, riot in a clash with riot police in the Minneapolis Teamsters Strike of 1934.
Under United States riot kayak federal law, a riot is defined riots & plainfield, nj as A public disturbance involving (1) an act or acts of violence by one or riot squad more persons part of an assemblage of three or more stonewall riots persons, which act or acts shall constitute a clear and present danger of, or shall result in, three days grace - riot damage or injury to the property of wilmington, n.c. riots of the 1800's any other person or to the person of any other individual or (2) a threat or threats i predict a riot mp3 of the commission of an act or acts of violence by one or more persons part of an riot shotgun assemblage of thought riot three or more persons having, individually or collectively, the ability of immediate execution of such threat or threats, arctic monkeys riot van where the performance of the threatened act or acts of violence would constitute a clear and budapest riots present danger of, or would result in, damage or injury to the kaiser cheifs i predict a riot property of any other person or to the person of any other individual. 18 U.S.C. §2102.
As every state predict a riot in the United States has its own riot born in america laws (subject to the Supremacy Clause), each has its soccer mom riot own definition of 'riot.' In New York State, for example, the term 'riot' is not defined explicitly, start a riot but under § 240.08 of the N.Y. Penal Law, A person is guilty teenage riot of inciting to riot when he urges ten or more persons to engage in tumultuous and violent laugh riot mask conduct of a kind likely to create public alarm.
- Further information: List of metro riots riots
Malay Muslims riot buy on ebay israel police escape riot charges in the 1964 Race Riots near Kallang, Singapore, due to the racial and riots in france religious tensions at that time.
The worst riots atari teenage riot - speed in United States history with respect to atari teenage riot speed mp3 lives lost took place during the Civil War when immigrant factory workers forcibly resisted the federal government's military draft, the New York come on feel the noise quiet riot Draft Riots. These riots were graphically depicted haymarket square riot in the movie Gangs of New York. In the 20th century, the 1992 Los Angeles riots were regarded as new mexico state penitentiary riot the worst in recent wilmington riot US history. The 1968 Democratic National Convention, however, saw the most well-remembered riots in recent attica prison riot US history and were a strong influence towards the eventual American withdrawal from Vietnam at the end of beauty riot the Vietnam War. Also notable were central park riot riots in response to the assassination of civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr.
The Sydney Riot of 1879, crashdiet - riot in everyone download is one of the earliest riots at an international cricket match. Riots have riot on the radio become major news generators, including Aboriginal riots in response to the violent chicago riots death of an Aboriginal boy, and most recently good charlotte riot girl lyrics a major anti-middle eastern appearance riot (although to simply pass that off as the sole cause for the riot is foolish).
The various communal riots in India, quiet riot feel the noise Pakistan and Bangladesh in modern times have quit riot had the highest death toll in recent history.
- 1971 Bangladesh atrocities
- 1984 Anti-Sikh Riots
- University of Paris strike of 1229
- Lager Beer race riots Riot
- New York Draft Riots
- Sydney Riot soccer riots of 1879
- Canboulay riots
- Stonewall riots
- Haymarket Riot
- Zoot Suit Riots
- 12th Street Riot
- Watts riots
- Hong Kong 1967 riots
- 1992 Los Angeles riots
- Brixton riot (1981)
- 2005 civil unrest in France
- Gastown Riots
- Jakarta Riots where can i listen to riot girl by good charlotte of May 1998
- For the rock band Riot see Riot (the band)
- Types of cherry poppin daddies zoot suit riot Riot: Race riot, police riot, prison riot, student riot, hooliganism, street fighting
- Riot control: police, Riot control agent, godspeed you black emperor slow riot for new zero kanada paramilitary, military,
- Riot laws: Riot Act, Black Act
- Tools of Riot: CS gas, Plastic bullet, i predict a riot kaiser chiefs Rubber bullet, Molotov cocktail
- Violence in sports
- Town and gown
- 1968 Democratic National Convention
- Blackstones Police Manual Volume 4 riot footage General police duties, Fraser Simpson (2006). pp. 245. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-928522-5
gujarat riots lyrics to riot girl by good charlotte paris riots quiot riot racial riots
Categories: Articles to be split | Wikipedia weight of riot shields articles with off-topic sections | Wikipedia articles needing factual verification | Riots | Criminology civil rights riots topics